The Official Dwarfer Movie Review Thread Last page

• forum joe wrote on 7 Jul '04, 09:40 report
    We need another generic movie review thread. i couldn't find an old one, though I have vague recollections of there being one.

Anyway, I saw it last night and I wasn't that impressed. Not a bad movie for a few shits and giggles, but not as good as the first one. Too much talking, too much re-hashing the first movie, not enough action, WAY too many plot holes, and other unexplained things. Many noticable goofs (I'm not usually a stickler for this, but they're really bad in this case), too many corny one liners, too much Kirsten Dunst.

That said, the action scenes were done really well, the comedy bits were actually funny, and I really liked the baddie. The Bruce Campbell cameo is gold.

two and a half stars.
  • barrabas wrote on 7 Jul '04, 10:07 report
    I found the first one boring and uninvolving. I have no compulsion to see the sequel.

But hey, I thought the Matrix series got better as it went along, so what do I know?
  • andrew wrote on 7 Jul '04, 10:09 report
    uhm, Joe, if you wanted a generic movie review thread, why'd you title this thread Spiderman 2?

any how;

i saw dawn of the dead yesterday; i had just chucked my form in and just had to do it...

and it was heaps of fun. The general sense of excitement gripped me from the word go, there was some lovely gore that didn't seem to be cruddy CGI, and the new plot was terrific - the escape scenes were awesom. By jingo, they got the whole horror of zombies correct as well. I reckon this is a ripper film.
  • forum joe wrote on 7 Jul '04, 10:30 report
    uhm, Joe, if you wanted a generic movie review thread, why'd you title this thread Spiderman 2?

Well, if other people post reviews, as you have done, then it's easy for me to retitle the thread. Which i will do now.

And I agree about Dawn Of The Dead. I loved it. Especially the ending, kickarse.
  • andrew wrote on 7 Jul '04, 10:38 report
    And I agree about Dawn Of The Dead. I loved it. Especially the ending, kickarse.

Familiar with the original? I know and love it well, and this was a very worthy re-make i felt - might be on of the best I've ever seen, as it happens.
  • lost octopus wrote on 8 Jul '04, 05:32 report
    i was also subjected to spiderman2 a couple of days ago. I want the two hours of my life back. Better action sequences than the original and an actual story this time but puh-lease; that move stank almost as much as its predecessor. Tobey McGuire is, well, made of cardboard and Kirsten Dunst hasn't turned in a decent performance since being the little girl in "Interview with the Vampire". (confessional: i haven't seen the Virgin Suicides, i heard that was pretty good).
    And i hate the compulsory sequel setup at the end of every franchise movie now. Well, i guess that's why they're franchises.

Bruce Campbell was funny but not funny enough. Is it really a cameo, or just the only gig he could get. His career highlights since Army of Darkness: killed in the first 45 seconds of "Congo"; anyone know any others?
  • stuporman wrote on 8 Jul '04, 10:34 report
    Spiderman 2 - my passion for this genre is legendary (within my own little universe) and while I enjoyed it I was also slightly disappointed.

This maybe in part a fanboy reaction to changes in the original material.

I have never thought that Dunst was the right person for that role and my mind has not been changed.

Action scenes were top notch yet I am driven to distraction with things like his webs being able to stretch and hold a train yet Doc Ock can break them without raising a sweat. This is not to say that such discrepancies don't appear in the comics.

I rate it ahead of S1 but still behind Batman.

4 stars.
  • dork wrote on 8 Jul '04, 11:26 report
    Agreed. Spider-man 2 definitely not as good as 1 but still, being a fan of the comics to some extent i enjoyed it, but not enough to see it multiple ones like the first.

Dawn of the Dead was brilliant, saw it twice, wasn't disappointed. Maybe i'll be shot if i say that it is better than the original. it's only better because the zombie were much better in this. the thing about zombies is that they can be so hit and miss. it's been a while since i have seen the original but i remember them as being a bit inconsistent. ie sometimes they were really weak and slow, other times they were really hard to fight off, which made it a bit frustrating to watch.

I'm going to see 'touching the void' next week i think.
  • lsprod wrote on 8 Jul '04, 11:44 report
    My criticism of Spider-Man 2 is that there is too much going on in the plot, and that it does not all mesh together into a single strong plotline. This leaves it too bitty. Plu, the Goblin was way cooler. That said I still enjoyed it. Anyone else spot Stan Lee?

Comics are the ultimate franchise. How long has Spider-Man been going?

Dawn of the Dead was aces. Being a true nerd I liked seeing Tom Savini's cameo.

The one I am waiting for now is Hellboy.
  • lost octopus wrote on 8 Jul '04, 11:46 report
    Alien vs. Predator has finally been made as a fillum and is coming out in september (here)
  • flip wrote on 8 Jul '04, 11:55 report
    Don't get too excited about Alien v Predetor - my mate saw a test screening in LA last month and he said it was really really fucked.
  • lost octopus wrote on 8 Jul '04, 12:08 report
    oh. that's a little disappointing, if not predictible
  • dork wrote on 8 Jul '04, 13:20 report
    as for the Bruce Campbell Cameo Ock, sure his career isn't exactely sky rocketing but Sam Raimi makes a point of including him in all his films, not matter how small the role, so even though it was probably some nice pocket money for him, i don't think it was the only reason he took the role.
  • sekt wrote on 8 Jul '04, 13:41 report
    The one I am waiting for now is Hellboy.
    Don't bother. Pertty damn average. I fell asleep halway through it, which didn't particularly bother me.

Kinda disappointing, considering how cool Hellboy is.
  • pang wrote on 8 Jul '04, 14:59 report
    The preview had be sucked in until I saw what he looked like. One of the poxiest facial prosthetics ever.

I think I'm well and truly over brightly coloured costumes for superheroes. Making Batman the man in black as apposed to the man in light blue and yellow was one of the best moves they (Burton or the people that did the more recent cartoons or whatever) could have made. Case in point: Phantom the movie. A guy in a purple skintight suit looks gay. I think X-men made an effort to make the characters look tough but spiderman still looks like a king knob. So did the Green Goblin.

That said I liked the movie.
  • dirty sanchez wrote on 8 Jul '04, 15:35 report
    I loved Dawn of the Dead so much! are they still screening it? I wanna see it again!
    The celebrity headspotting was a particular highlight
  • fallon wrote on 8 Jul '04, 17:29 report
    Dawn of the Dead was aces. Being a true nerd I liked seeing Tom Savini's cameo.

Oh yes.
  • andrew wrote on 8 Jul '04, 17:44 report
    as for the Bruce Campbell Cameo Ock, sure his career isn't exactely sky rocketing but Sam Raimi makes a point of including him in all his films, not matter how small the role, so even though it was probably some nice pocket money for him, i don't think it was the only reason he took the role.

Indeed. Bruce has also been on TV quite a bit in Xena, and was in Bubba Ho Tep as Elvis. He's even got an autobiography out.
  • fallon wrote on 8 Jul '04, 17:46 report
    His book's an awesome read.

He's also starring in a movie that's one saturday night. He's my favourite actor ever.

Him and Raimi are so funny in the commentaries to ED2 and 3. They play off each other so well.
  • andrew wrote on 8 Jul '04, 17:58 report
    Dawn of the Dead was brilliant, saw it twice, wasn't disappointed. Maybe i'll be shot if i say that it is better than the original. it's only better because the zombie were much better in this. the thing about zombies is that they can be so hit and miss. it's been a while since i have seen the original but i remember them as being a bit inconsistent. ie sometimes they were really weak and slow, other times they were really hard to fight off, which made it a bit frustrating to watch.

Why should the zombies be 'consistent'? are people?

I predictably disagree here. I think the first Dawn has wonderful invention and idea. It has more zombie headshots, and the wonderous Hare Krishna zombie, a total highpoint of horror cinema as a glorious device.
    the big difference with the tougher zombies of the new Dawn is that the horror of the original Dead trilogy is not the zombies at all - it's that the humans cannot get their shit together to truly defeat them. The zomibes do not fight amongst themselves... so they 'win'. The new Dawn, as fun as it is, is a tad simpler than that - witness the total turnaround in CJ over the course of the film - from asrsehole to damn near the 'hero' - I was seriously waiting for him to do something nasty to the others and it never happened. I don't mind, but this idea is one of the things that gives the original so much power. How about the looting bikers from Romero's Dawn? They are worse/scarier than the zombies, and that's the whole damn point.
  • dork wrote on 8 Jul '04, 21:01 report
    i guess what annoys me is that in some zombie movies, and the original DOTD is one i remember, the zobies will run around at snails pace, barely being able to hold themselves up yet they somehow manage to catch up with the humans and over power them. it just leaves me going "why didn't you just fucking run moron, the zombie would have tripped over themselves and you could have been home free"

this is why i found the zombies in 28 days later and this version of DOTD a bit more terrifying. they could run really freaking fast and they were pretty powerful. but i haven't seen a huge range of zombie movies so my knowledge is limited here.

but i get your point andrew, a huge part of what makes zombies so terrifying is a lot to do with how people deal with them. remembering of course that these living dead were just like them once. power struggles in these sorts of movies make for some of the most intense moments.
  • andrew wrote on 8 Jul '04, 21:21 report
    i guess what annoys me is that in some zombie movies, and the original DOTD is one i remember, the zobies will run around at snails pace, barely being able to hold themselves up yet they somehow manage to catch up with the humans and over power them. it just leaves me going "why didn't you just fucking run moron, the zombie would have tripped over themselves and you could have been home free"

this is why i found the zombies in 28 days later and this version of DOTD a bit more terrifying. they could run really freaking fast and they were pretty powerful. but i haven't seen a huge range of zombie movies so my knowledge is limited here.

but i get your point andrew, a huge part of what makes zombies so terrifying is a lot to do with how people deal with them. remembering of course that these living dead were just like them once. power struggles in these sorts of movies make for some of the most intense moments.

another point - there's a nice subtle gag in the Romero dead trilogy whereby the zombies rot more and slow down more over the course of three flicks. in NOTLD the zomibes are quite quick and tough, they've slowed down a fair bit in dawn, then bits are falling off them in Day ... which makes those zombies possibly more 'realistic' ?

Not to say the running zomibes don't kick arse.
  • sekt wrote on 9 Jul '04, 00:42 report
    Saw Spiderman 2 tonight. Kinda average. Some cool action bits, but all the padding was way too cheesey. I couldn't help laughing at half the 'mushy' bits. And then Dashboard Confessional playing during the credits to rub it all in.

Overall, didn't feel like a waste of money but as a mate of mine said 'I got a numb arse.' Pretty much sums it up.
  • joanna wrote on 13 Jul '04, 09:48 report

spiderman? pfft!
  • lost octopus wrote on 13 Jul '04, 11:13 report
    saw King Arthur today

painful

stick with Excalibur
  • dork wrote on 13 Jul '04, 12:52 report
    Sprecky and I are going to watch the actors today with Michael Caine and Dylan Moran.

wicked.
  • ~spreckenstein~ wrote on 13 Jul '04, 12:56 report
    dork you can have michael caine, and ill have dylan moran! muahhahaha
  • dork wrote on 13 Jul '04, 16:53 report
    the actors = lame.
  • choldster wrote on 13 Jul '04, 21:57 report
    Watched Big Fish the other night, and Once Upon A Time In Mexico yesterday. Big Fish was great, although probably not as far out there as what I expected it might be. One of the shots looking up a street was extremely Edward Scissorhands-ish, although it still beats this as one of my favourite Burton films, behind Batman of course. Have already seen Once Upon A Time In Mexico so knew what to expect, but I found the extra's on the disc very interesting, particularly the 10 minute film school feature. Anyone else seen this? Comments?
  • ~spreckenstein~ wrote on 14 Jul '04, 00:57 report
    the actors = lame.

i want my money back
    and that 2 hours

my mind was numbed by the experience

poor dylan.. what is he doing??!?
  • uncle guido wrote on 14 Jul '04, 03:58 report
    saw a great movie today
    FALLING DOWN
    with michael Douglas playing an average joe office worker in USA who gets sick of.....well, everything and slowly gets madder and more desperate and more violent. very cool, Very funny, and violent!! must see.
    it's been out for 7 or 8 years but this was a first time for me.
  • uncle guido wrote on 14 Jul '04, 04:21 report
    bb
  • random poster wrote on 14 Jul '04, 07:59 report
    saw a great movie today FALLING DOWN an oft quoted title of a film I have never got around to seeing either. Must check it at one point.
  • flip wrote on 14 Jul '04, 09:29 report
    Have already seen Once Upon A Time In Mexico so knew what to expect, but I found the extra's on the disc very interesting, particularly the 10 minute film school feature. Anyone else seen this? Comments?

I liked the film, i thought Johnny Depp was great. But the 10 minute film school is great. Hey Choldster, you should get your hands on El Mariachi DVD if you haven't already seen it, the 10 minute film school on that is awesome, shows just what you can do with bugger all equipment and clever techniques.

3 stars.

I watched School of Rock last night. It had some ball bouncingly funny moments, but other bits just made me cringe. Still, it was a good laugh but Jack Black tended to get a little bit annoying at times.

3 stars.
  • the_coldest_day wrote on 14 Jul '04, 09:36 report
    Alien vs. Predator has finally been made as a fillum and is coming out in september (here)

That should be good...even if it isn't...judging by the game anyway...it was tough...
  • dork wrote on 14 Jul '04, 10:02 report
    Falling Down is a brilliant film. possible the only decent douglas work. oh that's not true at all...but it's good.

Expanded Actors Review:

Well you see it's about these two out of work actors played by Caine and Moran and the dupe these criminal type dudes which is really just an excuse for Moran to wear a lot of prosthetics and put on silly accents and for Caine to wear a dress. It was predictable and not all that funny.

Redeeming features: not many to speak of but there were a few funny bits. But the funny bits were pretty run of the mill, only made decent by Moran's delivery. Actually, Moran was one of the only redeeming features, Caine was pretty woeful. Goddamn, wtf happened to that man?
  • fallon wrote on 14 Jul '04, 15:50 report
    There's a Hong Kong remake of Falling Down called Taxi Hunter. Stars Andy Wong. It's ace.
  • dogarse wrote on 14 Jul '04, 22:20 report
    Isn't Falling Down a remake of Citizen Caine, or am I tripping?

Watched Shrek 2. Wasn't worth the $6.50 that movies cost here.

Watched Equilibrium, it's been mentioned before but I can't stress enough how good this film is.

Also watched 28 Days Later, it was my first experience of the Zombie genre and I don't want to have another one. I have a too over active imagination, this film freaked the shit out of me, walking home from the DVD room at 2:00 in the morning and I thought all the people I passed were infected. I was also incredibly hungover and coming down from a four week hash binge. It was an intense experience. I can frankly say I didn't enjoy a single second of the movie, but was very impressed with it none the less.
  • flip wrote on 15 Jul '04, 08:49 report
    Isn't Falling Down a remake of Citizen Caine, or am I tripping?

Nope, your definetly tripping.

Can i have some ?
  • sleepycat wrote on 17 Jul '04, 03:25 report
    I saw Super Size Me on Thursday night. Movie tickets are way too fucking expensive if you're non-concession and not going on Tuesday. Between that and the Village snackbar consisting of overpriced food that could not form part of a healthy diet the irony of the experience did not escape me.

Found it a little bit preachy, and probably largely to the converted at that, but on the whole rather good and quite funny. That's a somewhat incomplete assessment because I actually dozed off for about five mins in the middle, as I'm prone to do in docos with lots of talking even if I'm very interested in what is being said.
  • red messy wrote on 17 Jul '04, 06:49 report
    saw a great movie today FALLING DOWN an oft quoted title of a film I have never got around to seeing either. Must check it at one point.

ive got a copy kicking around here you're welcoem to peruse- its good but definately diminishes with each viewing
  • random poster wrote on 17 Jul '04, 09:38 report
    ive got a copy kicking around here you're welcoem to peruse- its good but definately diminishes with each viewing One assumes because you have seen it, if we watched it together I would allowed to talk? I hate it when I'm not allowed to talk, like at all. Sheer torture. Then again you like that don't ya?
  • lsprod wrote on 19 Jul '04, 12:35 report
    I watched 'Avalon' by Mamoru Oshii. Typical Oshii, only difference is it is live action and in Polish. Stunning visually, but a bit weak on plot and characterisation.
  • ~spreckenstein~ wrote on 19 Jul '04, 12:38 report
    Typical Oshii, only difference is it is live action and in Polish.

what?!??
  • lsprod wrote on 19 Jul '04, 12:44 report
    Which bit do you not understand? Let me clarify.

1) It is not anime, it is real live actors.

2) It was filmed in Poland with Polish actors and all the dialogue is in Polish.

3) For example the initial shot is almost exactly the same as Ghost In The Shell, only with tanks instead of helicopters. There is a blurring between reality and fantasy, with mythical reference. There is a basset hound. The chick has bangs.
  • ~spreckenstein~ wrote on 19 Jul '04, 12:48 report
    interesting, very interesting

however i wouldnt say that GiTS is typical Oshii. its just one movie although the most well known.

i cant wait to see Innocence
  • fallon wrote on 19 Jul '04, 15:34 report
    I'm downloading Innocence as we speak (type), Spreck. You can have it when it's done if you want.
  • ~spreckenstein~ wrote on 19 Jul '04, 15:40 report
    *happydances*
  • lsprod wrote on 19 Jul '04, 15:42 report
    Dance of joy, you idiot.

I was thinking of Patlabor 2 as well.

I want to see the GiTS ova series.
  • ~spreckenstein~ wrote on 19 Jul '04, 15:44 report
    dance of joy if you like that fucking bullshit perfect strangers crap

but no, happydancing comes from my initial few years of net training on centurychat, a wonderful html refresh based chat. realtime? nah!

patlabor is so painful to sit through.
SHARE ON
FACEBOOK
SHARE ON
TWITTER
Use comma to separate email addresses
Or open in