Sleepycat contra Barnett

• sleepycat wrote on 17 Aug '12, 00:38 report
    I've given ex-Tas Liberal Senator Guy Barnett a big serve over same-sex marriage issues in comments on this TT piece here: tasmaniantimes.com/… ... -marriage/

and the diss now has its own page here (albeit with a minor formatting gremlin) : tasmaniantimes.com/… ... mongering/

A sample:

But when it comes to Guy Barnett, I don’t believe Guy Barnett has ever really changed on these sorts of issues. And I believe the reason he has not changed is that his political views are nothing but an extension of his religious views into a walk of life, the politics of a supposedly liberal-democratic nation, in which they have no place.

There is an amusing contradiction in Barnett’s movement here. The spuriously so-called marriage defenders tell us that same-sex marriage is not really marriage because marriage is defined as being between a man and a woman. Then they also tell us that the Constitution regulates same-sex marriage through a provision referring to “marriage”. If the Constitution really does regulate arrangements for same-sex marriage then that must be because same-sex marriage is marriage whatever the Marriage Amendment Bill 2004 seeks to define otherwise, and therefore that their claim that same-sex marriage is a contradiction in terms is false.2fj2yid3]
  • lisa wrote on 17 Aug '12, 01:32 report
    Haha. Good point!
  • jorl wrote on 19 Aug '12, 17:28 report
    Woot! Let's all get gay-married at an Elton John concert!
  • perko wrote on 21 Aug '12, 01:09 report
    That Guy!!!

He's a dead loss, he got his bottom spanked out of the senate and now he's "Launceston lawyer and consultant"? Not former senator? Not lackey of the right pseudo-faction of the Liberal party?

I'm sick to death of these bigots getting away with this.
  • sleepycat wrote on 21 Aug '12, 15:08 report
    I've seen reports that Barnett is now looking to go into state politics. I'm guessing he would run for Bass or Braddon either of which are looking like gimmes for a third Liberal seat at the moment, though Braddon only works if Whiteley has gone to Canberra in the meantime. So presumably his idea is that he gets preselected at the next election and walks straight into a ministry.

Imagine the shame on the electorate of Bass if it elects both Ferguson and Barnett. One Christian moralist is bad enough ...
  • andrew wrote on 27 Sep '12, 16:06 report
    I've seen reports that Barnett is now looking to go into state politics. I'm guessing he would run for Bass or Braddon either of which are looking like gimmes for a third Liberal seat at the moment, though Braddon only works if Whiteley has gone to Canberra in the meantime. So presumably his idea is that he gets preselected at the next election and walks straight into a ministry.

Imagine the shame on the electorate of Bass if it elects both Ferguson and Barnett. One Christian moralist is bad enough ...26q9khdf]

is he really likely to get endorsed would you say?
  • sleepycat wrote on 27 Sep '12, 19:42 report
    is he really likely to get endorsed would you say?16ifbbns]

Unfortunately, yes. Actually I've seen comments since that he is more likely to run for Lyons. I don't know if that means Hidding might finally retire, but in any case it might be easier for him to get elected in Lyons without competition for the same vote with Ferguson or possibly Whiteley.
  • andrew wrote on 28 Sep '12, 14:50 report
    Ew. Guy is awful.
SHARE ON
FACEBOOK
SHARE ON
TWITTER
Use comma to separate email addresses
Or open in