Luca Brasi

• dicko. wrote on 10 Feb '10, 12:02 report
    This band is awesome.

• arejay wrote on 10 Feb '10, 17:04 report
    true words.
  • dr_funkenstein wrote on 10 Feb '10, 17:48 report
    Why are they awesome?
  • dicko. wrote on 11 Feb '10, 09:52 report
    they're awesome because they take simple chords, simple melodies and song structures and make them sound fresh.

nice looping verses that develop with clever little guitar elaborations as they progress. pre choruses that really suspend the song and then break into great choruses that you just want to sing along to.

the lyrics are clever, their delivered with swagger and an australian accent. their tempos are perfect for nodding along to, it just adds up to great songwriting.

it really evokes paper arms who are another one of my favorite new australian bands.

they've drawn on the best parts of kid dynamite, hot water music, the lawrence arms and their contemporaries and they've done it as well or better than those bands before they've even played a show.
  • steve buscemi wrote on 11 Feb '10, 15:50 report
    Yeah I heard some of their recordings at the ghost gig last week, and after the talking up in the "sad, sad decline..." thread I was really pretty disappointed.

Don't they pretty much sound (not so much in the myspace track I'll admit) like all the other "punk band... that listens to Springsteen!" bands that are so hot right now?

they're awesome because they take simple chords, simple melodies and song structures and make them sound fresh.

Do they really make them sound fresh though?

I've ready so many bios of punk bands recently that claim to take something you've heard before and make if fresh, but I can only ever hear what I've already heard before. If you want to sound like all your favourite bands, sure, freshness doesn't necessarily amount to better music, but I don't understand why everyone's always so desperate to describe music as "fresh" when it just isn't.

the lyrics are clever, their delivered with swagger and an australian accent.

This is an interesting one. I understand and appreciate that punk bands using their Australian accent was a big deal at one point, and that wasn't too long ago, but I think I'd perhaps prefer to hear someone singing in an affected accent if they were doing something interesting vocally rather than same old same old. It's like the vocals get a tick of approval based purely on accent.

they've drawn on the best parts of kid dynamite, hot water music, the lawrence arms and their contemporaries and they've done it as well or better than those bands before they've even played a show.

You think this band is better than The Lawrence Arms? and Hot Water Music? Really?

Looking forward to seeing them gig in Hobart though, I've never actually seen any of Busby's bands...
  • dicko. wrote on 11 Feb '10, 16:15 report
    for the point in time for the band, ie first demo, no shows under the belt, i pretty much do think that they are better. have you heard the early HWM stuff? it shows potential but it's pretty bad. same with the larrys.

also i do think they sound fresh, for the reason's i've described above. ie, they are able to take a pretty used sounding set of chords and make it into something completely their own. i don't think they sound too derivative but they're doing the same shit as every other great band in this genre, i suppose there are other adjectives i could have used but the point remains.
  • arejay wrote on 11 Feb '10, 17:58 report
    early Lawrence Arms includes Northside which is in my opinion one of their absolute best songs. Not disagreeing with anything you say though Nic the Dic ;)
  • steve buscemi wrote on 11 Feb '10, 18:18 report
    for the point in time for the band, ie first demo, no shows under the belt, i pretty much do think that they are better. have you heard the early HWM stuff? it shows potential but it's pretty bad. same with the larrys.

Sure, I thought you meant this stuff was better than all Lawrence Arms and Hot Water Music, rather than those bands at a similar point. I'm not a huge Hot Water Music fan so I can probably agree on that. I reckon Lawrence Arms are better, but that's not really relevant.

also i do think they sound fresh, for the reason's i've described above. ie, they are able to take a pretty used sounding set of chords and make it into something completely their own. i don't think they sound too derivative but they're doing the same shit as every other great band in this genre, i suppose there are other adjectives i could have used but the point remains.

I'm not saying they're a bad band, or writing them off as completely derivative, but I'm still not seeing how they've made anything completely their own, or sound any different than anything I've heard before. I'll happily be proved wrong down the track though.
  • jdt wrote on 11 Feb '10, 18:58 report
    i think it's pretty unremarkable.
  • the ezyrider wrote on 11 Feb '10, 19:20 report
    //end of discussion//
  • arejay wrote on 12 Feb '10, 09:53 report
    XD classic Dwarf in this thread.
  • steve buscemi wrote on 12 Feb '10, 15:25 report
    The drummer is sexist as well.
  • gringo wrote on 12 Feb '10, 18:05 report
    i like the vocals.
  • steve buscemi wrote on 12 Feb '10, 18:18 report
    Yeah well you would, wouldn't you.
  • shane macgowan?s teeth wrote on 13 Feb '10, 13:53 report
    I don't care either way about this or most bands, but if yr trying to sound tight, then you may want to get the guitars in time with each other.
  • arejay wrote on 14 Feb '10, 14:37 report
    I don't care either way about this or most bands, but if yr trying to sound tight, then you may want to get the guitars in time with each other.

man, that shit's overrated.
  • dr_funkenstein wrote on 14 Feb '10, 14:44 report
    Guitars in time?

What the fuck are you talking about? Are you saying most music is overrated?
  • arejay wrote on 14 Feb '10, 15:12 report
    Guitars in time?

What the fuck are you talking about? Are you saying most music is overrated?

This thread like all others on the Dwarf is a shitfest so I'm merely lowering myself to it's standard, and dribbling shit. You know.
  • steve buscemi wrote on 14 Feb '10, 15:30 report
    In what way is this thread a shitfest? I don't get it.
  • arejay wrote on 14 Feb '10, 15:42 report
    Go away Steve Buscemi, you haven't had a good film in years.
  • pivitol wrote on 14 Feb '10, 17:27 report
    digging this band :)
  • steve buscemi wrote on 14 Feb '10, 19:19 report
    Go away Steve Buscemi, you haven't had a good film in years.

Yeah I was pretty good in 30 Rock though.
  • yourdemise wrote on 14 Feb '10, 21:32 report
    The guitars on that track absolutely rule
  • steve buscemi wrote on 14 Feb '10, 23:37 report
    The drummer is sexist as well.

This was a joke obviously, I like people in this band. Soz about that.
  • gringo wrote on 15 Feb '10, 17:12 report
    get the fuck out!
  • fallon wrote on 15 Feb '10, 17:42 report
    Sounds kinda boring.
  • arejay wrote on 22 Feb '10, 10:51 report
    Ok so I'm listening to their full for the first time and it is sweet. Totally cannot wait to see them with ride the tiger and feenix lyts.
  • arejay wrote on 4 Mar '10, 17:22 report
    Sounds kinda boring.
    no u
  • fallon wrote on 4 Mar '10, 17:34 report
    Do Luca Brasi have an album called "Witchtanic Hellucinations"?

No, they do not.
  • dicko. wrote on 5 Mar '10, 09:42 report
    i really want to listen to the whole demo.
  • arejay wrote on 5 Mar '10, 10:20 report
    I can upload it for you if you'd like, Nic?
  • yourdemise wrote on 5 Mar '10, 17:49 report
    there is heaps at the viper den
SHARE ON
FACEBOOK
SHARE ON
TWITTER
Use comma to separate email addresses
Or open in