Timing the purchase of a new system Last page

• benobo wrote on 29 Jan '10, 17:55 report
    I've lost the plot near completely regarding PC hardware and its evolution, but I'm very aware that sometimes waiting a month or two can radically increase performance for little change in price - especially when tech makes a big leap.

For example, I bought my current system a few months before dual-core was hot and affordable, not realising said technology was on the brink.

So, right now, any major developments expected?

If I was on the hunt, is there any reason why I should hold off?
  • psywise wrote on 29 Jan '10, 19:36 report
    I was told by "someone in the know" that now's a great time to get a bargain on old stock with Vista installed as most people want win7 and they're trying to get rid of them all.

As far as technology jumps go I don't think there's anything in the near future, solid state drives are getting better and more affordable but that's not really something u need to consider...
  • benobo wrote on 29 Jan '10, 22:21 report
    By "solid state drives", do you mean hard disks without moving parts?
  • andrew wrote on 13 Feb '10, 10:24 report
    y'know, I realised I tend to get new 'bits' as I go along and need a 'puter to DO certain things. I wonder about getting an entire new system, but i know i will at a point., but I'l do it when I'm able to rather than when the tech changes. I don't think like that I suppose. Is that an error, I wonder?

in terms of keeping up, I have a few people I run ideas past and a shop I annoy periodically. People who work with IT are generally well informed, but checking shops is pretty cool as well. Big W seems to have some good bargains for some hardware recently. Who knew that?
  • psywise wrote on 13 Feb '10, 13:29 report

Yep, think about those USB thumbdrives that used to cost $100 for 128mb a few years ago. Well now you can get a 500gig "drive" for just a little more.
  • cyclemumner wrote on 14 Feb '10, 04:39 report
    Fermi cards within months, but if GPGPU is not important to you that stuff is minor. Intel i7/i5 family is out, it's a great time to buy. Windows 7 is awesome, Ubuntu trivial to install with wubi.
  • benobo wrote on 14 Feb '10, 09:40 report

Yep, think about those USB thumbdrives that used to cost $100 for 128mb a few years ago. Well now you can get a 500gig "drive" for just a little more.

Do they work better as systems or storage?
  • benobo wrote on 14 Feb '10, 09:43 report
    What about USB 3.0, and SATA 3.0?
  • harto wrote on 23 Feb '10, 16:33 report

Do they work better as systems or storage?
    Apparently replacing a disk drive with one of those can drastically improve the speed of your system. Of course, that depends on the link between the device and the computer - i.e. as an external device it mightn't be so good I guess(?)
  • benobo wrote on 20 Apr '10, 07:57 report
    Well, I did it...

Asus P7P55-LX
    i7 860
    4GB 1333 DDR3 (2x2)
    A-RAM Ultra SSD 128GB
    ATI 5770
  • benobo wrote on 20 Apr '10, 08:00 report
    Apparently replacing a disk drive with one of those can drastically improve the speed of your system. Of course, that depends on the link between the device and the computer - i.e. as an external device it mightn't be so good I guess(?)

There are these new USB 3.0 docking stations which turn SATAII drives into USB3 drives, going from 3 Gb/s to 5 Gb/s. If an external device was USB3.0 already (and these are not far from being the norm) then it would be faster than a SATAII internal.
  • jdt wrote on 20 Apr '10, 08:57 report
    how much for the new set up?
  • glen20 wrote on 20 Apr '10, 09:23 report
    im impressed you got a ssd drive as your primary drive
    did you get 64 bit windows?
  • benobo wrote on 21 Apr '10, 09:03 report
    im impressed you got a ssd drive as your primary drive
    did you get 64 bit windows?

I am too.

yeah, 64-bit Windows, got it for $119 through work.
  • vstar wrote on 21 Apr '10, 10:03 report
    for me timing is all about money - as in, I'll likely buy a new system on my credit card, a couple of days before the end of financial year, with expectation of a tax return appearing before my card is due.

We did that with a laptop last year and the timing was spot on :)
  • benobo wrote on 22 Apr '10, 07:20 report
    how much for the new set up?

With the cost of Windows 7, all-up it is $1900. The hard-drive alone was $473.
  • benobo wrote on 22 Apr '10, 07:27 report
    for me timing is all about money - as in, I'll likely buy a new system on my credit card, a couple of days before the end of financial year, with expectation of a tax return appearing before my card is due.

I'm gonna take it the next step this year and try to claim a percentage of purchase price on tax.
  • vstar wrote on 22 Apr '10, 10:11 report
    haha, and the exact same reason I upgrade then too :)

Mr Rudd bought in a lovely rebate for those of us with kids at school whom receive Family Tax Benefit.
    50% off, thank you very much!!!

There is a limit on how much you can claim of course, but having 3 littlies at school, i can claim a fair bit. Last year I got back half my internet costs, plus 50% back on parts (hard drive/mouse/whatever) and also half price on the netbook we bought just before the end of the financial year. Kori takes this to school sometimes, but doesn't actually need it every day. Lil uses it at home most of the time.

I can claim up to $750 for each primary school aged kid, and $1,500 for each secondary school student.

It's quite brilliant for us, and also the exact reason I upgraded to a faster net speed at home when I did.

I would actually be struggling to afford an upgrade to a new system without this so am very happy it's there to be had. So I'm thinking at the moment we'll get a new computer for Ezra this year, his is the most sluggish box in the house. I'll end up using it for recording mixdowns as well.
  • andrew wrote on 27 Apr '10, 23:50 report

I'm gonna take it the next step this year and try to claim a percentage of purchase price on tax.

I know people who depreciate their machine every year.

Whatcha doing with the old bits?

$900 seems big but also seems like you'll get somethng that runs like bastard, so I gues y'get what y'pay for.

Out of interest do you feel like doing a breakdown - where'd you get what? Was it a package? From where?
  • vstar wrote on 28 Apr '10, 10:37 report
    in the past I've usually put one together myself with all the bits, i ask a mate who knows what goes with what to talk me through what's available and pick something that works out price wise. In the past I've bought all the bits through principle (opp K&D), but I might just buy a fully assembled box from anywhere next time round. I'm not sure yet.

in some ways i don't see the point of getting another case, power supply, dvd drive, etc as the ones i'm using will last a bit longer yet.

I'll probably buy windows 7 for the next machine though.

If we ditch the old machine completely, i may pass it on to my brother in law with a smaller hard drive (i have a couple drives sitting around doing nothing).
  • benobo wrote on 30 Apr '10, 07:48 report

I'm thinking about making it a media PC, set-up in the living room, next to the telly. Maybe even get a home network going so I can open files from my newb without dillying.

$900 seems big but also seems like you'll get somethng that runs like bastard, so I gues y'get what y'pay for.

The big stings were the CPU and the Solid State Drive, but yeah, the extra $500 or so chucked at these has resulted in absolute nerd lightning, I can hardly keep up.

Out of interest do you feel like doing a breakdown - where'd you get what? Was it a package? From where?

I went for a new case ($185) for several reasons, mainly that my old case used to annoy with it's doors and piping....sooooo 2006...with that goes new PSU ($105), motherboard ($166), CPU ($377), RAM ($140), DVD burner ($47) and graphics card ($225). Old sound cards (Audigy 4 and E-MU 1820), LCD monitor, keyb, mouse and wireless USB transferred across. At the last minute I chucked a 1TB drive onto the order, which means I can use my two loose 320GBs as back-up storage (sitting safely in a drawer).

Tasmanian Principle did the ordering and build for me. I'm did the install myself.
  • andrew wrote on 1 May '10, 11:46 report

I'm thinking about making it a media PC, set-up in the living room, next to the telly. Maybe even get a home network going so I can open files from my newb without dillying.

The big stings were the CPU and the Solid State Drive, but yeah, the extra $500 or so chucked at these has resulted in absolute nerd lightning, I can hardly keep up.

I went for a new case ($185) for several reasons, mainly that my old case used to annoy with it's doors and piping....sooooo 2006...with that goes new PSU ($105), motherboard ($166), CPU ($377), RAM ($140), DVD burner ($47) and graphics card ($225). Old sound cards (Audigy 4 and E-MU 1820), LCD monitor, keyb, mouse and wireless USB transferred across. At the last minute I chucked a 1TB drive onto the order, which means I can use my two loose 320GBs as back-up storage (sitting safely in a drawer).

Tasmanian Principle did the ordering and build for me. I'm did the install myself.

cheers, interesting - when you break it down like that seems like you got a good deal. Principle really are hard to beat in many ways.
  • benobo wrote on 3 May '10, 07:28 report
    I should point out that I received excellent advice from Huon Computers along the way.
  • andrew wrote on 3 May '10, 10:43 report
    Ah, Huon Compouters. best advice around I'd wager.
  • vstar wrote on 12 May '10, 10:11 report
    What about USB 3.0, and SATA 3.0?

Noticed yesterday, there seem to be several motherboards supporting SATA3 now, plus there seemed to be some emphasis on those using external drives with SATA3 to make sure their HD has enough rpm to make use of it.
  • vermin wrote on 2 May '11, 20:55 report
    Don't be too quick to jump on the solid state hard drive trend. It's not looking good reliability wise:

Back up your data Ben.
  • jezzaboogie wrote on 3 May '11, 09:23 report
    People who don't back up their stuff make me want to throw their harddrives at them.
  • crimsonidol wrote on 3 May '11, 13:22 report
    Man I wish I'd known about Vertex 3 before I bought my Vertex 2. Those things are insane fast! like double vertex 2, which was like double vertex 1 which was like double the fastest HDD.
  • vermin wrote on 3 May '11, 18:15 report
    It's ok you'll probably be buying a new one in 12 months.
  • benobo wrote on 3 May '11, 23:10 report
    Don't be too quick to jump on the solid state hard drive trend. It's not looking good reliability wise:

Back up your data Ben.

Oooh-er. Thinking about it though, due to it only being 128GB I have very little "data" on my SSD, it's all system and program stuff.
  • andrew wrote on 4 May '11, 09:40 report
    Oh good, thanks for bumpo.

Sooo, I have such a fat about Elder Scrolls V, I'm going to get me a new system for it. Tht gives me basically until November, so wise nerds, what's coming up that would apply itself well to this venture? I'd be happy to just be pointed to some news sites if nothing else.
  • crimsonidol wrote on 4 May '11, 09:58 report
    I find Tom's Hardware's usually quite handy as a guide (not without the usual conflicts of interest relating to articles on their sponsors however).

Apparently the ultimate badarse versions of the sandy bridge Intel cpus (they are currently killing it already with the cheaper versions) are coming out later this year, but that's only if you wanna spend loads on a cpu, I think the cheaper one will do just fine. I'm curious myself what's happening on the GPU side. Everything seems to just be incremental improvements on the last with exponential power supply needs with GPU's at the moment. All the big hitters are just made of a few gpu's stickytaped onto the one card. Nothing mind blowing seems to be on the horizon, though maybe they are just keeping a lid on it so you buy up all this pimped out overpowered old tech.
  • perko wrote on 4 May '11, 10:06 report
    Errrmmm. The GTX560Ti is more power efficient than the equivalent 400 series, although the ATI cards are still better in that regard. The ATIs still have shit drivers though...

Yeah the Sandy Bridge gear is the go at the moment for sure. Just make sure your motherboard is new stock to avoid the SATA death thing.
  • crimsonidol wrote on 4 May '11, 10:31 report
    Yes but the two latest top of the line cards from both ATI and nVidia are simply made of 2 of the previous top of the line cards glued together with absurd power requirements and less performance than sli/crossfire
  • saturn wrote on 4 May '11, 13:03 report
    After you've done your homework influential one buy your parts from this merchant. About as close to wholesale as you're going to get in Australia.

• vermin wrote on 4 May '11, 13:28 report
    Also staticice.com.au is a good Australian price comparison web site for gadgets and computer gear.
  • andrew wrote on 7 May '11, 14:30 report
    After you've done your homework influential one buy your parts from this merchant. About as close to wholesale as you're going to get in Australia.

Also staticice.com.au is a good Australian price comparison web site for gadgets and computer gear.

cheers - these, and Crimson's link are what i was hoping for.
  • saturn wrote on 7 May '11, 17:01 report
    If you are unsure of where to start this CPU seems a good start. Might be nice to build a system around it.

pccasegear.com/… ... s_id=16531
  • andrew wrote on 7 May '11, 19:29 report
    well, i gotta start somewhere!
  • glen20 wrote on 12 May '11, 12:51 report
    someone should start a skyrim thread, this shit is gonna be HUGE
  • andrew wrote on 15 May '11, 23:04 report
    someone should start a skyrim thread, this shit is gonna be HUGE

give it a minute
  • blither wrote on 11 Jul '11, 19:36 report

Sooo, I have such a fat about Elder Scrolls V, I'm going to get me a new system for it. Tht gives me basically until November, so wise nerds, what's coming up that would apply itself well to this venture? I'd be happy to just be pointed to some news sites if nothing else.

In the same boat. Have been checking out umart.com.au fairly regularly. Gonna get meself some recent/new issues of apc and nut out a good budget system that will hopefully be capable of running Skyrim.
  • perko wrote on 12 Jul '11, 13:27 report
    They seem dear compared to pccasegear.com based on my cursory glance.
  • crimsonidol wrote on 24 Aug '11, 12:31 report
    I'm waiting for the next big thing of graphics cards, and I'm hoping that it appears before all these new games I want it for do. doesn't seem like there's anything much on the horizon though
  • perko wrote on 24 Aug '11, 20:23 report
    Me too, I bought the GTX560Ti as a bit of a stop gap. Though its performing really well. I'm considering making the switch to ATI/AMD either next gen or the one after and getting something higher up. I've always bought the nVidia x6xx model due to being a tight arse, but I'm thinking about splurging next time on the new equivalent of the GTX580 or the HD6980 or whatever it is.

Not keen on the dual GPU thing. I'm using a Lynnfield CPU, so PCIe lanes are an issue for SLi/CrossFire, and the 6870X2/590/6990 cards', (lack of), scaling doesn't really justify the price tag.
  • andrew wrote on 25 Aug '11, 10:10 report

In the same boat. Have been checking out umart.com.au fairly regularly. Gonna get meself some recent/new issues of apc and nut out a good budget system that will hopefully be capable of running Skyrim.
      would you mind posting your ideas here?

I have the job necessary for this (as in to afford) but i have more than a few expenses relating to an art project so it's all going to be a bit last minute, but there IS still time.

I sort of want to build it all myself as well, just for the experience of it.
  • saturn wrote on 10 Sep '11, 19:07 report
    Building a small system to build an Arcade Cabinet around. It's a bit more expensive than I'd hoped it would be.
  • andrew wrote on 13 Sep '11, 11:17 report
    So I reckon I'm going to budget about $1700 for my new system.

Anyone wanna suggest stuff that works within that range, given that i'm wanting something that will play Skyrim as fast and loose as a greased pig?
  • crimsonidol wrote on 13 Sep '11, 12:25 report
    I don't reckon Skyrim's going to be that taxing tbh. Get an SSD big enough to fit your games on it, probably going to make the biggest difference since the game's going to be a loady game as elder scroll games usually are. I really do think any new half decent GPU and CPU will do the job though.
  • saturn wrote on 13 Sep '11, 12:46 report
    I'm thinking i5 quad core at the very least but I could be wrong.
SHARE ON
FACEBOOK
SHARE ON
TWITTER
Use comma to separate email addresses
Or open in