User Comments on Moderation Last page

• princedirt wrote on 18 Feb '04, 13:35 report
    There seems to be lotsa threads in General Discussion which should probably be in the Blag forum. All the "the dwarfer you'd..." type threads.
    At least I'd like them to be there. Easier to ignore that way.
  • t_bryan84 wrote on 18 Feb '04, 13:54 report
    I'd say so too. Plus any thread started by Hilary.
  • eggy666 wrote on 18 Feb '04, 14:00 report
    LETS ALL VOTE TO GET HILAERY OUTTA HERE
  • verlaine verlaine wrote on 18 Feb '04, 14:01 report
    what for?
  • t_bryan84 wrote on 18 Feb '04, 14:03 report
    I honestly don't think it would solve much.
  • wrote on 18 Feb '04, 14:17 report
    We can be a little bit more aggressive in moving posts to the correct forums if you guys want it so.

Anything else you'd like whilst we're talking about it.

I'm also up for a couple of extra moderators if anyone is interested. My thoughts are to allocate moderators to different forums? Suggestions?

PM if you want to moderate.
    I'm also looking for contributors for the site.

Cheers
    Matt
  • chent wrote on 18 Feb '04, 14:34 report
    It would be interesting to have Hilary as a mod...

hmmm poetic chaos
  • t_bryan84 wrote on 18 Feb '04, 14:49 report
    We can be a little bit more aggressive in moving posts to the correct forums if you guys want it so.

At times it can be quite hard distinguishing between what is "general discussion" and what is "blag."
  • hilary douche wrote on 18 Feb '04, 15:40 report
    Me? Moderator?

Be careful what you wish for...

Cheers
  • chent wrote on 18 Feb '04, 15:43 report
    Me? Moderator?

Be careful what you wish for...

Cheers

T'was no wish
  • wrote on 18 Feb '04, 15:46 report
    At times it can be quite hard distinguishing between what is "general discussion" and what is "blag."

It's obviously a major grey area. I had only been moving items that were really stupid.
  • t_bryan84 wrote on 18 Feb '04, 16:25 report
    Fair enough.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.
  • sleepycat wrote on 18 Feb '04, 18:04 report
    There seems to be lotsa threads in General Discussion which should probably be in the Blag forum. All the "the dwarfer you'd..." type threads.
    At least I'd like them to be there. Easier to ignore that way.

Agreed. I'll move all (instead of most) future in-scene type threads of this nature that I see.

PS Re extra moderators, yes it would be nice to have one or two more, and I don't give a toss if anyone finds this sexist but I reckon it would be good to have at least one female moderator.
  • mike wrote on 18 Feb '04, 18:11 report
    When I originally joined I thought this was a forum for musicians but all you get is abuse from anal retentatives. It's not just the rubbish you get but that some of it is obscene and I would wonder about the state of mind of some of the individuals that contribute to the various topics.
    Can you not have a musicians forum and a bollocks forum for all the university undergraduates and schoolkids to espouse their wisdom of which I never have to read.
  • sleepycat wrote on 18 Feb '04, 18:31 report
    When I originally joined I thought this was a forum for musicians

Actually it's a forum for anyone interested in music or the local music scenes whether they are musos or not. Many of the most regular posters are musos, but quite a few aren't. Those who aren't often have, or have had, some kind of local scene involvement, but not always.

but all you get is abuse from anal retentatives.

Being a muso and being anally retentive aren't mutually exclusive.

It's not just the rubbish you get but that some of it is obscene and I would wonder about the state of mind of some of the individuals that contribute to the various topics.

So would I. But obscenity, not to mention insanity, and being a muso aren't mutually exclusive either.

Can you not have a musicians forum and a bollocks forum for all the university undergraduates and schoolkids to espouse their wisdom of which I never have to read.

This was one of the reasons for "blag forum". As for musical discussion, we did briefly start a forum for music only but no-one was using it, people were more comfortable posting musical discussion in General Discussion or Local Stuff.
  • anonymous wrote on 18 Feb '04, 19:55 report
    Actually it's a forum for anyone interested in music or the local music scenes whether they are musos or not.

Music's for hippies and coloured folk

Cheers
  • dogarse wrote on 18 Feb '04, 21:10 report
    and we all know how Hialry feels about coloured folk
  • eggy666 wrote on 18 Feb '04, 22:19 report
    I like to think I'm a muso
  • princedirt wrote on 23 Feb '04, 13:23 report
    Moderators please go straight to Hiring PA's thread in the Industry forum and delete the last 10 or so posts. And don't make me have to tell you this again. I'm sick of dicking about within innocent and useful threads.
  • sleepycat wrote on 23 Feb '04, 15:51 report
    Moderators please go straight to Hiring PA's thread in the Industry forum and delete the last 10 or so posts. And don't make me have to tell you this again. I'm sick of dicking about within innocent and useful threads.

I've seen it this time, but something I'd like not to have to say again: requests for moderation should be made by PM, not by posting. I read most of the threads here but certainly not every single one, and I can hardly be expected to moderate a thread I haven't yet read, especially if someone makes the moderation request as a post that I won't necessarily see.

Off to have a look at it now.
  • chent wrote on 23 Feb '04, 16:33 report

OMG Help help I'm being repressed..
  • andrew wrote on 23 Feb '04, 17:18 report

OMG Help help I'm being repressed..

what's the difference between liberty and licence, CHent?
  • russ wrote on 23 Feb '04, 19:11 report
    There seems to be lotsa threads in General Discussion which should probably be in the Blag forum.

There's also a few threads in Blag which should be moved to the General Discussion forum: Mormans, Sydney Violence and even the GTA thread.
  • maus wrote on 24 Feb '04, 00:34 report
    This colour scheme is so yesterday! sheesh...

The new black is brown.

90% of font on this forum should be brown and on a brown background. Illegible and reflective of the shit that leaks from the fingertips of most of you/us...

Any thread with a post made by myself should go directly to blag... nah fukk it; just ban me outright from posting any place but there... nah just ban me from using the forums.

come on it's a win-win deal!
  • princedirt wrote on 24 Feb '04, 09:38 report
    BROWN!

I agree with Russ, but I don't want to be seen as raggin' on the moderators, these things will smooth over in time and I'm sure the forum users' opinion is welcomed.

And I apologise to Sleepycat for the public nature of my complaint.
  • sleepycat wrote on 24 Feb '04, 14:30 report
    There's also a few threads in Blag which should be moved to the General Discussion forum: Mormans, Sydney Violence and even the GTA thread.

Promoting threads from Blag is a concept I've given a bit of thought to. I'll start doing this with threads that start in Blag and manage to stay quality for a reasonable number of posts, unless the author marks them as "please leave in blag" or similar in the opening post.
  • dextrometh orphan wrote on 4 Dec '04, 16:05 report
    Okay, well, in retrospect, I apologise for not knowing that this thread was here, but do think that any posts criticising moderation in the 'gender and feminism' thread should have been taken or directed straight here, instead of creating a new thread especially called 'Sleepycat vs Dextro'. doing so would have made me as a dwarfer feel that my thoughts and feelings on moderation were welcome in the slightest.

also, I noticed that after I had complained the first time, new threads being moved had this in brackets:
    (split from _____).
    maybe this was already the case, but I am glad that this is in regular practice now. I think that if the 'gender issues' thread had that written next to it, that also would have helped to prevent 'misunderstandings' etc. I suggest still doing this.
    i also think that moderators should have to record all their moderating activities in the moderation thread.
  • lost octopus wrote on 4 Dec '04, 19:05 report
    'Moderation' is probably my favourite thread.
  • sleepycat wrote on 5 Dec '04, 12:31 report
    Okay, well, in retrospect, I apologise for not knowing that this thread was here, but do think that any posts criticising moderation in the 'gender and feminism' thread should have been taken or directed straight here, instead of creating a new thread especially called 'Sleepycat vs Dextro'. doing so would have made me as a dwarfer feel that my thoughts and feelings on moderation were welcome in the slightest.

This has been done to death on other threads and I can't be bothered digging up the material in detail again, I'll probably do what you suggest if a similar case arises in the future.

also, I noticed that after I had complained the first time, new threads being moved had this in brackets:
    (split from _____).
    maybe this was already the case, but I am glad that this is in regular practice now. I think that if the 'gender issues' thread had that written next to it, that also would have helped to prevent 'misunderstandings' etc. I suggest still doing this.

This was already happening before you complained, but wasn't always happening either before or after. I'll try to make sure I always (rather than usually) do this when splitting threads, either in the thread title or at the top of the first post.

i also think that moderators should have to record all their moderating activities in the moderation thread.

Time-prohibitive and simply won't be happening when it comes to threadsplits, deletes of double posts and the like. Sometimes I'll split several threads in one day, I'm on dialup and opening a new window to reload the moderation threads and note them for threadsplits is too much work. In an ideal world ... but sorry, no.

Note also that moderations/deletions by admin are not recorded (Matt doesn't have the time), so if something goes missing unexplained that's probably what happened.
  • dextrometh orphan wrote on 5 Dec '04, 16:04 report
    Well, that sounds pretty good. Ta.
    I wonder if Prince Dirt will ever make an appearance.
  • princedirt wrote on 11 Feb '05, 10:44 report
    Here I am!!!!

What does it mean when a thread is sticky?
    Does it mean it contains NWS images?

Sorry, I thought it was Be CHEnt for a day day...
  • prodigal sorcerer wrote on 11 Feb '05, 16:08 report
    "500 tonight"- excessive postcountwhoring (28 posts mostly by prodigal sorceror with some help from others) deleted.
    You're killing me.
  • dextrometh orphan wrote on 11 Feb '05, 16:56 report
    it floats on the top.
  • chent wrote on 12 Feb '05, 15:16 report
    Sorry, I thought it was Be CHEnt for a day day...

That would be a great day.
  • dogarse wrote on 21 Feb '05, 18:07 report
    What's with Newnorb's moderation of the 'even more important question'. Her moderation seems more about pushing her own intolerances rather than the protection of the forum and its users. It's really quite disgraceful that a moderator can deem a topic too taboo to discuss. There are no legal implications involved in the discussion of incenst, no illegal or even 'inappropriate' pictures were posted, it didn't enter into the realm of personal details of other posters nor anything that could be considered libelous. The discussion was particularly topical since Kinski himself claimed incestuous relations with his mother and sister. I'd suggest that Newnorb be stripped of her moderator status, she is obviously influenced by her own personal politics and has no ability to approach such subjects with the objectivity required of a moderator. What will she be moderating next, discussions on homosexuality? or does that fall with in the bounds of what she dictates to be a morally accpetable social practice.

One thing that I really admire about the dwarf is that all subjects can be approached with a pure academic freedom and it is a place were thoughts can be shared and idea's can be argued without the ongoing threat of censorship. Would it not have been more approptiate for Newnorb to have simply stated her point that while many posters seem to find the concept of incest acceptable (especially in the context of discussion) that she personally is against the idea and subsequently offered some analysis to support her argument?

I really am completly appaled.
  • dextrometh orphan wrote on 21 Feb '05, 18:58 report
    how about a warning?
  • newnorb wrote on 21 Feb '05, 19:35 report
    I believe the warning came when RM posted a thread regarding whether or not it was ok to masturbate an 8 year old child (and the warning didn't come from me). Personal politics don't come into it. I'm pretty sure I'd have consensus from mods. that child abuse and incest are 2 topics that shouldn't be discussed in a flippant manner here, but if I'm wrong, then I shouldn't be moderating. I suggest you PM Matt with your concerns Dogarse. And anyone else who objects to my moderating should do the same.
  • russ wrote on 21 Feb '05, 19:53 report
    What will she be moderating next, discussions on homosexuality? or does that fall with in the bounds of what she dictates to be a morally accpetable social practice.

No one considers incest to be a morally acceptable social practice you degenerate.
  • fallon wrote on 21 Feb '05, 20:03 report
    Bah, bollocks to that DogArse. Moderators are picked for their judgement I reckon. The standard of moderation here is well higher than most forums, I gotta say. I'm not about to mess with the judgement of these folk.
  • floyd wrote on 21 Feb '05, 20:04 report
    It may not be morally acceptable but as far as I know it isn't illegall and it should be open to serious discussion.
  • dogarse wrote on 21 Feb '05, 20:07 report
    Who the fuck are you (Russ) to decide that? Fifty years ago "no one" considered homosexuality to be morally acceptable. Why should the sexual practices of two consenting adults (with underage children it is a different issue, one than did not enter into the thread in question) be dictated by an overly moral society.

Also how can we ever get a concensus on what 'is moral' if debate on the subject is prohibitied.

Let me reiterate that the thread in question wasn't about "father's should fuck their hot daughters", no one suggest that Steve Tyler should fuck Liz, the discussion was about a particular person, Klaus Kinski, who himself set the tone of the discussion through comments he persoanlly made about incest.

To me the thread looked to be a discussion of comments made by a well known and respected director, and how that may possibly relate to his paternal relationship with his daughter, a fair enough area of speculation on an incredibly 'art' focused forum.

edit: typo, changed 'did' to 'did not mention children'.
  • sonic boom wrote on 21 Feb '05, 20:12 report
    Serge Gainsbourg had a hit in France with his song "lemon incest" performed with his daughter Charlotte.

I think in France people have a more refined sense of humour.

The thread was more about Kinski that the actual issue of incest I reckon.
  • floyd wrote on 21 Feb '05, 20:12 report
    Freud woudn't stand a chance here, Dogarse was getting at a totally fair argument/discussion/point which deserves to be explored, just llok at Oedipus this has a place in society for serious discussion rather than backturning. It may not be right or comfortable but not talk about it first and challenge yourself/others.
  • newnorb wrote on 21 Feb '05, 20:21 report
    The thread wasn't a serious discussion.
  • sonic boom wrote on 21 Feb '05, 20:26 report
    What is serious?

All the content of that thread is pretty much available in books from the library - Klaus Kinskis bio.

Seriously - commercial television has people having sex with children in it - I'm not sure but someone was telling me about Nip Tuck the other day and that sounded pretty full on. Is that a serious medium?
  • fallon wrote on 21 Feb '05, 20:26 report
    Freud woudn't stand a chance here, Dogarse was getting at a totally fair argument/discussion/point which deserves to be explored, just llok at Oedipus this has a place in society for serious discussion rather than backturning. It may not be right or comfortable but not talk about it first and challenge yourself/others.

Sure, but we're talking strictly about the issue of moderation here.

These people were picked to make these decisions. It just throws a spanner in the works to challenge that. Forums ain't supposed to be democracies.
  • floyd wrote on 21 Feb '05, 20:30 report
    True, it's just Dogarse was so convincing I had to voice my agreement, I don't expect anything from this I just wanted to say that there were others who would support the topic and thought it to be valid rather than let him just get attacked by others.
  • fallon wrote on 21 Feb '05, 20:34 report
    For real, I happen to agree with DogArse in as much as I don't think it needed to be moderated personally, but hey - that's why I'm not a moderator, if you dig.
  • dogarse wrote on 21 Feb '05, 20:50 report
    But moderator's are only human and of course moderator decisions are open to discussion. I thought that was the whole point of this thread. I'm not just idley complaining, I really hope that Newnorb only quarantined the thread instead of actually deleting it, and if it can be shown to be an unfair decision it may be returned. I was probably a little excited in my first post and I think the moderators generally do a good job and I usually find their decisions understandable. In this case however I think a major mistake was made and the moderation decision was far more about censorship and maintaining the status quo than removing something that is clearly unacceptable and against the rules that govern the forum.
  • newnorb wrote on 21 Feb '05, 21:02 report
    I really hope that Newnorb only quarantined the thread instead of actually deleting it, and if it can be shown to be an unfair decision it may be returned.
    I really wish I had done the quarantining thing. Believe me. Lesson fucking learned.
    I do stand by my decision. I don't object to the subject matter being discussed, it was the manner in which RM went about discussing it.
SHARE ON
FACEBOOK
SHARE ON
TWITTER
Use comma to separate email addresses
Or open in