Best Pizza in Hobbit? Last page

• random poster wrote on 12 Feb '04, 09:00 report
    So this is prob the 500th time this has been started as a topic but fuck it, people come and go as do pizza places. More to the point- some pizza places that used to be brilliant now taste awful.

The most recent best pizza I got was in early Jan and from casablanca - the "manager's special" - this is a chicken pizza - and it's one of the RARE chicken pizzas I've had that wasn't dry as . The other decent place is my local - paesano - and I go for a large "la bomba" with small pizzetta.

Mr Pizza are patchy - in my recent experience with them - brilliant 1/4 times and bad 3/4 times. Yeah - the godfather - but I don't live in moonah or near there. The one in town - la bella? - is bland to fuck.

Name your favourite pizza PLACE and TYPE of pizza here.
  • chent wrote on 12 Feb '04, 10:09 report
    Mr Pizza has always been a favourite, mainly the Mr Pizza Special...

I tend to agree with RP on the patchy quality of Mr Pizza though... In the mid to late 90's the Mister Pizza Special was packed a mile high and you had to eat it with utensils... It was great value, very tasty and great munchy material... Now it is flatter, less tasty and the dough is harder...

nevermind.. cause I still buy one whenever I'm in Hobart.
  • the ezyrider wrote on 12 Feb '04, 11:23 report
    DaAngelo's Aussie pizza makes me cream my jeans Finnigan style.
  • benders blues wrote on 12 Feb '04, 11:52 report
    DeAngelo's are the shit.

All their stuff is quality.
  • lisa wrote on 12 Feb '04, 12:19 report
    Godfather are my local and I adore them, even though I don't get the opportunity to eat pizza much anymore. The Godfather Special has big juicy balls of meat and bolognaise sauce all over...mmmmm. Quatrogusti is a great favourite too because it tastes of real fresh vegetables.

I also love buying from small local places. When I'd get a pizza it was usually delivered by one of the managers (That is so cool!) and he'd usually stop and chat about how things were going.

My favourite chicken pizza is one I make myself. It has roasted chicken pieces, leek,(instead of onion because it is more delicate and less overwhelming) fresh yellow capsicum and tomatoes and pinenuts. I have mozzarella cheese on the base and a blend of mozzarells, parmesan and sometimes camembert on top. Yummy!
  • dirty sanchez wrote on 12 Feb '04, 13:49 report
    Yeah D'angelo's is totally the best, and worth the few extra dollars. I lived right near there for a year and only went there twice, which is kinda weird.
    I lived off Godfather pizza went i visited Melbourne.
  • sleepycat wrote on 12 Feb '04, 17:50 report
    Probably Paesano would be my favourite at the moment; also like Concettas and Da Angelos.

RIP the old Mondos. I still miss it. The new one's OK if you pick and choose varieties (my hint is to avoid anything with capsicum), but certainly not the same.

My ideal pizza varies a lot. Usually at any given pizza place I will discover one I like, and stick to it. Typically my preferred pizza will contain olives and chilli, usually some kind of meat as well. Typically it won't contain chicken or scallops and whoever thought of putting egg on pizza deserves to be fed to a bunyip.
  • hilary douche wrote on 12 Feb '04, 17:53 report

I tend to agree with RP on the patchy quality of Mr Pizza though... In the mid to late 90's the Mister Pizza Special was packed a mile high and you had to eat it with utensils... It was great value, very tasty and great munchy material... Now it is flatter, less tasty and the dough is harder...

Is there even a pizzashop in Wynyard?

Cheers
  • boomslang wrote on 12 Feb '04, 19:19 report
    D'Angelo's D'Angelo's D'Angelo's D'Angelo's D'Angelo's D'Angelo's D'Angelo's D'Angelo's D'Angelo's D'Angelo's D'Angelo's D'Angelo's

La Bella would be my second choice simply cos i eat it so much, not so much for the quality. It's pretty good when it's fresh though.
  • dane hunnerup wrote on 12 Feb '04, 19:59 report
    La Bella has really gone down hill in the last year and a half. Shrinking portions, rising prises and sinking quality made it from a favourite to a don't go there.

Da Angelo's is 2nd best, Mondo's not bad, Woodfired Pizza (nutgrove beach) is a bit disappointing given the high price and cool location.

Paesano kicks ring.

tutti carni pizza! (total carnivore)

you get a sore jaw after eating one of these babies.
  • forum joe wrote on 13 Feb '04, 00:46 report
    I'm with Dane.

Two years ago, La Bella was the cream of the crop. Cheap, quality, and good varieties. The problem back then was the time taken, especially delivery.

Now everything's gone crazy-go-nuts. They deliver in 15 minutes, charge through the roof, and give you a shit pizza. bah.

I don't each pizza much anymore, apart from Pizza Hut which I can get for free (and I accept, of course, because reducing the profit of a multinational corporation is doing my bit for society!)

But my favourite last year was a little shop called Mondo's on Cascade Road in south hobart. Next to the bakery. Anyone else been there and care to comment?
  • sekt wrote on 13 Feb '04, 01:51 report
    Mondos went through a shady time. They had a few management changes and the pizzas got pretty bad for a while but they're slowly lifting their game. The BBQ Chicken and Hawaiian are worth getting.

And sometimes Bill will give me a lift. Now that's service.
  • dane hunnerup wrote on 13 Feb '04, 09:02 report
    the dude that works there is the happiest coolest pizza dude I've ever encountered.

The trick with Mondo's is don't hesitate to pay more for extra's, it really counts.

They get extra cool points cos they said when the season comes round again that if I brought in some tassie gold tops that they'd make me a special pizza with them.
  • chent wrote on 13 Feb '04, 09:51 report

Cheers

Mamma Rosa's
  • newnorb wrote on 13 Feb '04, 09:55 report
    The first one I had from Sublime was quite impressive, second and third kinda sucked. The folded ones from La Porchetta can be pretty damn good.
  • eggy666 wrote on 13 Feb '04, 11:05 report

Cheers

yes you wanker, up near the high school and footy ground, I remember years ago the shop out in east wynyard near the scuba center use to have pizzas and they were so nice.

the best place in launnie is ozzie pizza in mowbray
  • tj wrote on 13 Feb '04, 11:24 report
    Sublime. All the way. Make sure ask for Marti to make them though. He makes the wickedest Pizza's on earth.
  • little_kitten wrote on 2 May '06, 19:25 report
    Two years ago, La Bella was the cream of the crop. Cheap, quality, and good varieties. The problem back then was the time taken, especially delivery.

Now everything's gone crazy-go-nuts. They deliver in 15 minutes, charge through the roof, and give you a shit pizza. bah.

About two weeks ago I had a pizza from La Bella delivered to North Hobart. I took an hour and fifteen minutes. That's half an hour longer than I was told it would take. I wasn't impressed!
  • little_kitten wrote on 2 May '06, 19:38 report
    Black Pepper in North Hobart was an upmarket pizza place with reasonable prices. The service was top notch and you could pretend you were in a swanky restaurant without costing you an arm and a leg. However, the managers caught the travel bug and closed up to go to Europe. The restaurant has been sold and is due to open soon supposedly. I hope the new managers recognise a good thing when they see it and continue the concept.
  • bsssm wrote on 2 May '06, 19:39 report
    i just got off the phjone ordering a pizza from pizza hut,mthen i saw this

i've decided to go with a pizza with the new three cheese base, judgement on this later
  • dane hunnerup wrote on 2 May '06, 20:03 report
    no no NO! I tried the domino's one. It was absolutely fucking rank. Worst shite ever. it was like a licorice all-sorts kind of thing except with shoe-box cardboard and liquid cheese as the layers. It was sooo rank. I actually returned it at 5 minutes to 9 on christmas eve and they cooked me two more and were ashamed of themselves and so they bloody should have been.
  • bsssm wrote on 2 May '06, 20:28 report
    i'm actually kind of enjoying this, almost finished the whole thing
      got a supreme in the fridge for breafast and lunch at work tomorow

i tried a dominos one a while ago, it is not up to the standard(low but much better than the dominos one) set by this
  • sekt wrote on 2 May '06, 20:32 report
    Mondo's has gone up the shitter again. Avoid at all costs.
  • hotdog wrote on 3 May '06, 08:56 report
    Hobart woodfired pizza is my favourite at the moment.

A. because the Pepperoni pizza with fresh tomato is orgasm inducing.

B. because its 2 minutes walk from my house
  • jezzaboogie wrote on 3 May '06, 09:02 report
    Mondo's has gone up the shitter again. Avoid at all costs.

Hell.
    Is it the same dude running it?
    I love that guy. He goes that extra yard with the customer service.
  • vermin wrote on 3 May '06, 09:31 report
    Tower special - consistently good (not super fantastic).

La Bella, gives me the squirts every time, never again.

Is Hobart woodfired the one in the old Freemasons pub (Welcome Stranger?) ?
  • hotdog wrote on 3 May '06, 09:33 report

Nah... its on the corner of harrington and i cant remember its fucking name street.
  • newnorb wrote on 3 May '06, 09:41 report
    Melville. I think.
  • hehehehahaha wrote on 3 May '06, 10:26 report
    For the BEST pizza, come to Paesano. 108 Lansdowne Crs, 62342111. Prob best to order before picking up, depends what night but for fri/st night sometimes the wait is up to 45 minutes. Pasta/risotto/salads/desserts and all that grief available takeaway as well.
  • vstar wrote on 3 May '06, 10:45 report

Nah... its on the corner of harrington and i cant remember its fucking name street.

with the little icon out front which looks like fire but it's really just a bit of material blowing about with a light under it?

We are tight arses and only buy $5.95 Dominoes pizzas from time to time. The boys love their Hawaian too much.

We scored pizzas from the joint on Landsdowne Cres a few times (the other end from 'Hill St Grocer' near the servo & video shop) but the boys hated them & wouldn't eat it. Not to mention, they are around the $20 mark each and not all that crash hot really if you ask me.
  • hotdog wrote on 3 May '06, 11:00 report
    The ingrediants they use on DOminos pizzas are amazingly shit. On Hobart woodfire pizza's the ingrediants are REAL
  • grog boggoth wrote on 3 May '06, 14:14 report
    I'm always confused by the adulation heaped upon Da Angelo. Its main asset is that it's convenient and easy to get into.

The food is extremely average for the most part and the pizzas are competent but a wee bit too greasy. Perfectly acceptable to fill the gap but hardly fantastic. Unless they've changed in the last 18 months or so, anyway...

Paesano did the best pizzas in Hobart as at the last time I visited and I'd doubt that anyone has managed better in the meantime. The key with Paesano is to eat in rather than take away. The pizzas lose quite a bit with even a short time between construction and consumption.
  • spirit lust wrote on 3 May '06, 14:52 report
    I dig Mondos in South Hobart for quality and value.
  • vermin wrote on 3 May '06, 18:36 report
    with the little icon out front which looks like fire but it's really just a bit of material blowing about with a light under it?
    Now I'm with you.
  • vermin wrote on 3 May '06, 18:38 report
    For the BEST pizza, come to Paesano. 108 Lansdowne Crs, 62342111. Prob best to order before picking up, depends what night but for fri/st night sometimes the wait is up to 45 minutes. Pasta/risotto/salads/desserts and all that grief available takeaway as well.
    You could have gold plated gourmet pizzas but if you don't deliver I'll never know.

Pizza is about being lazy, not cooking and not driving anywhere.
  • dane hunnerup wrote on 3 May '06, 20:06 report
    you can get a taxi driver to pick it up
  • hehehehahaha wrote on 3 May '06, 20:47 report
    along with the buds and a carton, yeh?
  • deep square leg wrote on 3 May '06, 20:48 report
    I'm always confused by the adulation heaped upon Da Angelo. Its main asset is that it's convenient and easy to get into.

Their "Primavera" is hands-down the best vegetarian pizza I've ever had.
  • dane hunnerup wrote on 3 May '06, 20:55 report
    if you're mouth is busting for it and you've got the dough then I reckon paying for a taxi is worth getting paesano for. oh god the calzone. ALL MEAT CALZONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hehehehahaha wrote on 3 May '06, 22:59 report
    Hey dane ive never thought of an ALL MEAT calzone but sure as heck could whip one up for a busted gob i reckon.
    hmm, im trying to think of how to get more meat in there i.e different kinds but im pretty sure we dont serve anything other thats not already on a tutti dammit.
    shame we dont serve veal or anything, could well stuff a couple of slabs of that in as well..
    SURE WOULD GET YOUR TUMMY RUMBLING I RECKON!

..and with extra cheese i presume, your royal tuttiness?
  • drayconas wrote on 4 May '06, 02:22 report
    I don't know if people just simply haven't been there, or what's going on...I am just surprised more folks haven't mentioned Leaning Tower. The gourmet pizzas there are easily the best pizzas (take-away...I have had better home ones) I have had in Tassie hands down. They fuckin' rule. Bella-Pesto is a particular fav...but I haven't eaten one in 6 months since I stopped eating cheese...
    And I have tried essentially every pizza bar in Hobart- so I am comparing it to all...
  • grog boggoth wrote on 4 May '06, 06:53 report
    I don't know if people just simply haven't been there, or what's going on...I am just surprised more folks haven't mentioned Leaning Tower.
    Mentioned several times in this thread if I remember correctly.

They are more famous for their burgers but I have not partaken so I cannot vouch for quality of same.
  • mel_rancid wrote on 4 May '06, 07:52 report
    I work next door to Mr Pizza and they give us the cancelled orders. They're really greasy, but when they're free it's acceptable.
  • hehehehahaha wrote on 4 May '06, 08:45 report
    Mr Pizza went bust.
    Mr Pizza liked to feed gold coins into pokie machine slots - in rather large quantities I believe.

Once upon a time they had nice pizza.
    They also had a rather profitable delivery business hapenning involving the delivery of that other than pizza. If someone asked for extra herb u knew it wasn't for the pizza!
  • grog boggoth wrote on 4 May '06, 09:35 report
    They also had a rather profitable delivery business hapenning involving the delivery of that other than pizza. If someone asked for extra herb u knew it wasn't for the pizza!
    I heard that ever since Mr Pizza's inception and I'm inclined to dismiss it outrite as pure fabrication and urban myth. Much was made of the notion that you could call them and enquire about the various "deals" that they had, including the "$25 deal".

Not a single person of my acquaintance ever claimed to have concrete proof of the rumour although many believed it.
  • katch wrote on 4 May '06, 09:43 report
    argh! i'm so hungry, i could eat an entire pizza right now. the thought makes my mouth water
  • bsssm wrote on 4 May '06, 09:47 report
    i've just finished the supreme i ordered when i ordered the hawaian 3cheesebase one

delcicious, cold pizza for breakfast
  • katch wrote on 4 May '06, 10:18 report
    damn you
  • jolt wrote on 4 May '06, 10:25 report
    DaAngelo's.
    Best. Pizza. Ever.
  • hehehehahaha wrote on 4 May '06, 11:01 report
    I heard that ever since Mr Pizza's inception and I'm inclined to dismiss it outrite as pure fabrication and urban myth. Much was made of the notion that you could call them and enquire about the various "deals" that they had, including the "$25 deal".

Not a single person of my acquaintance ever claimed to have concrete proof of the rumour although many believed it.

Its true. I used to work there and can vouch for it.
    But yes, it wasn't much of a general public thing, just a few regulars, who were fairly regular.
SHARE ON
FACEBOOK
SHARE ON
TWITTER
Use comma to separate email addresses
Or open in