the work environment Last page

• random poster wrote on 31 Jul '08, 12:55 report
    Currently i'm working from home, while I've done this before for study and a little bit of other work here and there, this is the first time I have done it for a decent period of time. Looking after a 8 month old as well as doing the work does have it challenges but it's basically preferable to any other arrangement i've ever done and i've learnt a bit about myself in the process.

NEWS FLASH - I might be an introvert. this may come as a surprise to many. But I like working solo and find collaborations particularly tiresome, unless it is with someone smart and super efficient. Conversely others like the work environment, the teamwork (bludging off others). Working from home can be difficult - my desk is in the living area and is constantly covered in other stuff, it's the computer that everyone uses. But I like the fact that my hours are of my choosing (I do a few hours on the weekend as well), I dont have to get dressed up or tidy and no one bugs me. Plus I dont feel like a failure trudging off to some bullshit workplace. I hated that. the daily grind of work is an absolute morale sapper.

I like being on my own a lot and don't need others to motivate me. I hear a lot of other mothers saying how they "need to get out" and mix with other adults and stuff. Not mer, give me an internet connection and some autonomy, resposnisbiulity and some halfway interesting work that doesn't involve relying on others (well much anyway) to get stuff done and I'm happy.

it's great.

what's your preferred work environment and why?
  • red sarah wrote on 31 Jul '08, 13:01 report
    I feel like that without kids.
    I am contracted by state government and the office i'm is too small for all the part timers. I LEAP at the chance when the day is too crowded to say "i'll work from home via laptop" and I actually get A FUCKLOAD MORE DONE. It's not so quiet and weird that everyone can hear every work transactions, I actually am MORE productive here in the quiet of my home than I am in the tip tip tap tap tap of a sterile office.
  • random poster wrote on 31 Jul '08, 13:05 report
    fuck yeah I hear ya!

it's pretty demoralising to look around at all these sad blank faces tapping away at a screen. some days i just wanted to get all michael douglas falling down/go postal-on-their-asses (sic) and scream- this is no way to live a life.
  • mrs seedy wrote on 31 Jul '08, 13:13 report
    and then get stripped, tied up and (potentially) molested by an arms-obsessed neo-nazi - fuck yeh.
  • red sarah wrote on 31 Jul '08, 13:15 report
    I love to call cublicles "veal fattening pens".
  • moby dick wrote on 31 Jul '08, 13:17 report
    I was in the work dunny yesterday and the dude in the cubicle next to me went absolutely mennal on the TP. I heard at least 12 separate strips torn off, then a flush, then at least 5-6 more strips ripped off then another flush. Really, who needs to wipe that much? Did he have poo all down his legs or something?
  • red sarah wrote on 31 Jul '08, 13:22 report
    but RP is spot on.

No joke - I had a job interview recently and got the whole 'strengths and weakenesses' question. And I thought 'fuck it I'm old enough to say it...I am SICK of choking on cock when I KNOW I am the best person for this job....'

so I looked the big fucking panel of cunting head honchos in the eyes and I said

"the environment of my current job makes me think "come friendly bombs and rain on Slough, the cabbages are ready now' "....God's honest that was it, I fucking said it.

Yes the whole universe is a turd BUT I'd like to point out that I have now been double shortlisted so fucking BITE ME, my blurt out wasn't a complete "john hughes film" moment of 'flip the bird redundancy'.
  • dork wrote on 31 Jul '08, 14:12 report
    randy i'm absolutely and totally with you. my dream would be to work from home. first it was to just have a job i liked and was interesting for aplace that i was proud to say i worked for. I have that now, and it's amazing but as it's progressed I've realised that no matter how great a job is, even if my pay was ten times what it was now, having to come in at a certain time and do reports for people so they can report to other people and file things so other people can find them is just soul sapping.

i would rather divert all of my orgnisational skills to something where i'm reaping the benefits, not anyone else even if it is "the community"

i'm in the process of setting up my own business. it's a ridiculously risky one, but if it's a success i'll be set. if it's not, at least I tried and maybe it'll lead me to something away from "the office"
  • glen20 wrote on 31 Jul '08, 14:16 report
    im sitting near a nerd who likes sexual innuendo jokes, really unfunny jokes, endless pop culture references and talking arrogantly about stuff he knows nothing about, hes pretty much the dwarf personified. this is not my ideal work environment
  • spirit lust wrote on 31 Jul '08, 17:55 report
    Great to hear it's working for you, randy.

I worked from home for about eight years and got really sick of being alone, working, houseworking, looking after kids, and feeling like I had to work at any spare moment. Perhaps that was partly due to freelancing too.

I'm loving working in an office now. I've got my little pod and work on my own, no set hours, just get it done. The office dynamics are wierd at times, but I like being involved and knowing what's happening in other parts of the company.

I've got a couple of office friends who are really helpful to bounce ideas off too, it's inspiring.

I've only been in the office for a year though, so all this may change.
  • jjd wrote on 31 Jul '08, 22:51 report
    had a meeting with a potential new client the other day (I sometimes teach businessmen if they're an ok egg), who was a complete cuntolive.

lots of stuff said really - can't be bothered going into it, but he was so un-chinese in the way he handled himself.

So I said, 'what level of english do you have already?' and he said ,'I'm quite good actually.'

so i say, 'I'm sure you'll understand this then. . . Get. Fucked.'

and left. haha. I felt tuff
  • peregrin wrote on 31 Jul '08, 23:56 report
    that is hot.
  • deep square leg wrote on 1 Aug '08, 01:01 report
    I miss you, jjd.

I would love to give working from home a crack. I think it would be good for me, and for whatever job I'm doing.
  • random poster wrote on 1 Aug '08, 09:17 report
    I worked from home for about eight years and got really sick of being alone, working, houseworking, looking after kids, and feeling like I had to work at any spare moment. Perhaps that was partly due to freelancing too.

that's a critical point. I think though if you recognise the cons to working at home - such as the above then you can go some way to alleviate it or head it off at the pass. If only I had the same standard of housekeeping that i used to have a decade ago and then I'd be ok, but i'm not a huge fan of filth and shit everywhere on the floor these days- and this is pre-baby as well. Mind you as scroon says I'm "no martha stewart".

I set myself a aim of 2 days a week (so that's roughly 15 hours a week), this fortnight. I exceeded that by a few hours, other weeks I scrape past 20 hours. If I feel tired or a bit overwhelmed by the overall task then I slow down. Obviously I'm a very fortunate person to have a job that allows this. Although job security is low, and I have to keep looking for work- that's the biggest downside, thus far though it has flooded in to the point of turning down some offers. Although you always have at the back of your mind - this could be the last one, then we're really screwed.
  • kevin wrote on 1 Aug '08, 10:14 report
    I've worked for myself since the early 90s. I hate being told what to do. Blue Rocket is different in that I am basically told "Here's XXYY project, it has to be delivered in 18 months. Make it happen". And I'm left to my own devices and own decisions as to how it happens. If I need something, it is delivered to me.
    I doubt I could work in a "normal" environment with someone above me telling me what to do and how to do it. I spent the 80s learning that I am basically unemployable.

Working from home is good, but you need to be very self-controlled to do it. I had my edit suite set up in a separate room from the living area and would get up at the same time Kerry went to work and go into the office and work. Even if there wasn't a job in, I'd go in and start networking to try and get jobs in. One of the advantages was that if I was going onto late deadlines, I could keep going til early hours of the morning, or if there were long renders, I could set an alarm and get up in the middle of the night and check on progress. In 93, when I had an office in Montpelier Retreat and computers were a lot slower, I had a duplicate system at home that was able to connect to the Hobart PC via PCAnywhere and I'd use both systems to render and could control the office PC from home and check on progress, or design from home and dump the project files into town and let that computer render while I was modelling or such at home. Whatever works, baby.

As for the alone thing, I'm on my own at work 99% of the time. Net forums and being out at night is the social side that keeps me sane. Cabin fever is real.
  • jjd wrote on 1 Aug '08, 13:48 report
    i miss you too deep square leg.

come end of the year - you, me, champagne edition?
  • harto wrote on 12 Sep '08, 09:28 report
    I was in the work dunny yesterday and the dude in the cubicle next to me went absolutely mennal on the TP. I heard at least 12 separate strips torn off, then a flush, then at least 5-6 more strips ripped off then another flush. Really, who needs to wipe that much? Did he have poo all down his legs or something?
    Paper-usage aside - this is one of the worst things about the office for me. All dudes in suits, lookin all respectable and nice, and then hell of farting and shitting right next to you. Big hell of gap at the bottom of the cubicle wall (why?). Dudes at the urinal, farting hell loud. I mean, I've used lots of public toilets, but for some reason the ones at work seem to be the worst. I don't know why.
  • harto wrote on 12 Sep '08, 10:00 report
    im sitting near a nerd who likes sexual innuendo jokes, really unfunny jokes, endless pop culture references and talking arrogantly about stuff he knows nothing about, hes pretty much the dwarf personified. this is not my ideal work environment
    Right now I am seated next to a guy who spends the whole day making totally redundant remarks about everything. He asks me RHETORICAL questions, then actually looks at me, WAITING FOR A RESPONSE.

For example (upon receiving an email from some guy): "Stu, if I sent you an email asking you to no longer send email to this address, but to instead send it to another address, would you continue to send it to the original address?"

me: "... uh no I guess I would send it to the new address"

HE DOES THIS ALL DAY
    HE DOES THIS EVERY DAY
  • peregrin wrote on 12 Sep '08, 11:22 report
    there is something about farting WHILE pissing that makes it way grosser.
  • harto wrote on 12 Sep '08, 11:34 report
    I know... at what point in the men's toilets are you "allowed" to stop farting loudly? If I did it while I was washing my hands, would that be OK?
  • andrew wrote on 12 Sep '08, 12:25 report
    well this environment right now is quite good really.

I don't like open plan offices where you end up near a thoroughfare though. I had a desk once that was a palce where people used to always talk.

A weird thing I grew to hate was the birthday ritual. Everytime anyone had a birthday, we all got cake, and had to stand around and do small talk. I quickly found I had NOTHING in common with these people. Luckily, defender penguin was working there as well and I'd generally hang with him at these times, and found it great to stand there going 'what the fuck' at the whole situation with him. Particularly weird was that the whole cake thing was instigated by one guy who would generally openly flirt with the same person in this weird wide-open fun fun fun manner that would freak me right out. It's like the whole birthday thing was being done so these two could flirt in a way.

uhm, yeah.
  • supafly wrote on 12 Sep '08, 13:12 report
    The worst thing about my job is, kids who shit themselves, then shake the soft turd out the bottom of their pants leg under my desk, thinking this is a secluded spot and no one will find it, then having to clean it up while trying to maintain the kids dignity and not let the other kids find out and start teasing him which sends him into a violent rage whilst still reeking of his own shit, then having other parents come in and go sniff sniff and look at me as if to say what kind of fucking operation is this?
  • andrew wrote on 12 Sep '08, 13:19 report
    yeah well you're gonna have to talk to the parents about the poo culprit I'd say.
  • the_new_imorality wrote on 12 Sep '08, 14:23 report

oooher
  • ugly bob wrote on 12 Sep '08, 15:51 report
  • deep square leg wrote on 12 Sep '08, 16:00 report

oooher

Threesome.
  • kevin wrote on 12 Sep '08, 17:10 report
    The Work Environment?
    Our audio guy is on his honeymoon for two weeks. So I don't have anyone to talk to as it's only the two of us downstairs (there's 40 upstairs).

My buddy who I talk to on email every day is off in Europe with Bails for 7 weeks so I can't e-talk to her.

I is lonely. Pity me, bastards.
  • sara fisher wrote on 17 Sep '08, 19:37 report
    Today, I was enjoying wallowing in the dark, when this stupid pant-suit woman barged in and turned on ALL the fluorescent lighting. She then opened the blinds and let all the offensive glare in, announcing "You had it so glooooomy in here, I need light, I'm from the Sunshine Coast"
    vomit.
    Then she opened her stupid coffee cup and barked to the room in general,
    "There isn't enough froth. I'm just soooo over bad coffee"

Then she did lots of other annoying things which I now forget.
  • pixel wrote on 17 Sep '08, 19:51 report
    From my work environment today:

(white) Boy: " I have to show you this really funny photo I took of myself when I had that allergy!"

(gets out mobile phone, shows girl photo)

Girl: "Oh my god. You look ASIAN."
  • lisa wrote on 17 Sep '08, 20:15 report
    hahaha!
  • harto wrote on 18 Sep '08, 16:23 report
    what does one do when a person cannot interpret one's body language? when one tries to ignore a person, but the person continues to talk? and every time one thinks the talking has stopped, it starts again? and said talking is of no value whatsoever? and one has to work alongside said person, every day?

what to do?
  • benjamin wrote on 18 Sep '08, 16:40 report
    oh yonder 3rd storey window
    how promisingly you appear-
    through your broken renitence, infinity:
    a waltz through death's frontier
  • defender_penguin wrote on 18 Sep '08, 16:44 report
    what does one do when a person cannot interpret one's body language? when one tries to ignore a person, but the person continues to talk? and every time one thinks the talking has stopped, it starts again? and said talking is of no value whatsoever? and one has to work alongside said person, every day?

what to do?

firstly study the simpsons. i mean like really study. hard. every season.

then you play a game where everything he says, you relate it back to the simpsons somehow.

"oh yeah man, its like that time that homer..."

"oh i see, its a similar situation to the one that maggie faced in episode number..."
  • random poster wrote on 18 Sep '08, 16:50 report
    just keep saying things like
    "oh fuck yeah that's horny man"
    "oh that makes me so fucking horny" (angry tone would be good here)
    "oh fuck I wish i could do something fucking horny right now"
    "are you horny? i am"
  • harto wrote on 18 Sep '08, 16:55 report

what to do?

firstly study the simpsons. i mean like really study. hard. every season.

then you play a game where everything he says, you relate it back to the simpsons somehow.

"oh yeah man, its like that time that homer..."

"oh i see, its a similar situation to the one that maggie faced in episode number..."
    oh... that is what a person at my last job would always do - I wanted to hurt him so badly
  • defender_penguin wrote on 18 Sep '08, 16:59 report
    ha. i know. i remembered the story.

i seriously reckon supplementing the blunt body language with some audible backup. like a good humm to drone him out, he'll start to realise whats up sooner or later.
  • dirty sanchez wrote on 18 Sep '08, 17:00 report
    Today, I was enjoying wallowing in the dark, when this stupid pant-suit woman barged in and turned on ALL the fluorescent lighting. She then opened the blinds and let all the offensive glare in, announcing "You had it so glooooomy in here, I need light, I'm from the Sunshine Coast"
    vomit.
    Then she opened her stupid coffee cup and barked to the room in general,
    "There isn't enough froth. I'm just soooo over bad coffee"

Then she did lots of other annoying things which I now forget.

Haha! was she sighing lots?
  • red sarah wrote on 18 Sep '08, 17:22 report
    is she blonde with gold jewellery purchased from a chain store such as Prouds? Does she have a photo of a toddler neice/nephew and 'a night out with the girls' pinned to her cubicle wall? I bet she has a boyfriend that wears a Canterbury top, and she owns the Sex and the City Box Set because he got it for her for Christmas.

I had a job in Melbourne at CUB (carlton n united brewery) in the call centre years ago, and luckily had a team leader who deliberately chose to employ weirdos to help ease the dehumanity of being a battery hen slumlord, so had a pretty cool bunch of slacker newbies in the training sessions. This one training lady came in and bleated on about customer service for ages. She was bog standard blonde highlights in an updo, gold and pearl earrings, pantsuit from Portmans, more gold jewellery. She patronised us endlessly - this dishevelled array of indie detritus, no doubt thinking 'thank God they're on the end of the phone where they can't be seen' and at one point one of the girls next to me, a film studenty Daria type chick murmured "god she reminds me of the gold jewellery whores at Myer head office when I temped there, those bitches think their shit doesn't stink and that place is corporate nirvana".

About ten minutes later Blondie Who Probably Likes Netball regaled us all smugly with tales of the halcyon days and
    how much she learnt "when I worked at the Coles Myer Head Office".

*groan*
  • red sarah wrote on 18 Sep '08, 17:26 report
    I also particularly have no time whatsoever for blonde chicks from anywhere further north than Coffs Harbour.
  • jdt wrote on 18 Sep '08, 17:27 report
    come see the new wall in hobart lending library, it's very "rustic".
  • the ezyrider wrote on 18 Sep '08, 19:32 report

what to do?

I find that if you say 'excuse me I better take that' then pick up the phone and say hello and give a few head nods and the occasional 'ah-ha' for a few moments that tends to do the trick. Sure the phone didn't actually ring at all but it does get the message across that you do not wish to be engaged in a conversation with the offending individual anymore. Alternately you may look like a bit of a weirdo in which case they'll probably stop bothering you anyway. Win-win situation dood.
  • lisa wrote on 18 Sep '08, 19:45 report
    you could say "excuse me please, I'll just turn my hearing aid off" and have a little fiddle with your ear and ignore him
  • mrs seedy wrote on 18 Sep '08, 19:47 report
    um, headphones?
  • harto wrote on 18 Sep '08, 21:59 report
    we're not really allowed to wear headphones at my work... I don't think that would stop the offender, anyway
  • kevin wrote on 19 Sep '08, 10:49 report
    we're not really allowed to wear headphones at my work... I don't think that would stop the offender, anyway
    You should come and work with us. Everyone is in headphones. Except me. I rule.
  • harto wrote on 19 Sep '08, 13:41 report
    I can't really listen to music while I work anyway... at least not stuff that I like. I can't concentrate.
  • chent wrote on 19 Sep '08, 13:53 report
    Oh non-air conditioned space...
    Oh how you mock me it's like a case...
    With your stank and crusty smell...
    And your sweaty barse well...
    I'd rather have put on the lace...
  • harto wrote on 19 Sep '08, 15:50 report
    (TGIF)
  • kevin wrote on 19 Sep '08, 16:13 report
    I can't really listen to music while I work anyway... at least not stuff that I like. I can't concentrate.
    I usually get our company owner (who happens to be quite a tidy guitarist as well) telling me to shut up the metal.

Thankfully our audio guy and I are the only two downstairs and have a pretty similar taste in music so he doesn't mind me turning up the volume. And he has a split out of this mixer so he can crank up anything I'm playing that he likes. Works well. Nothing like having lots of $ of sound gear for your work listening pleasure.
    I'm running my Ipod through a Soundcraft BVE100 into a Peavey amp (can't remember the model and as it is sitting upstairs in the server room I can't be fucked walking up there and looking) and a pair of quite sweet Soundcraft Absolute Spirit 2s.

If we really want to go silly, Nick's suite has a set of Genelecs in 5.1 mode attached to a Sadie audio edit system. It has one motherfucker of a subwoofer in there and is quite good fun.

The animators get headphones. We don't need 'em.
  • harto wrote on 19 Sep '08, 16:21 report
    oh
SHARE ON
FACEBOOK
SHARE ON
TWITTER
Use comma to separate email addresses
Or open in